Sunday, September 18, 2011

The anniversary post

a drumstick pencil of a classmate


Today, 18th September 2011, is the anniversary date for my time in Leeds. Exactly one year ago I was on the train from Manchester Airport to Leeds, wondering in delightful uncertainty what would happen in the year ahead. I had been mentally prepared for the upcoming culture shock, communication gate, doggy weather, food crisis etc. In fact I expected all these to happen without an attempt to avoid them, which was part the reason of enduring the 15-hour flight to come all the way to the other side of the world. In retrospect, not all the things have naturally gone out of expectations; and not all the surprises and changes were necessarily exciting or discouraging. The variations have slowly developed into a new pattern of thinking, attitude and lifestyle. This pattern is hard to be defined. Even I myself don't know what it is exactly. I only know it does exist, as I try to understand the social and cultural constructs of everything in quite a 'different' way, a perspective that would never occur to me if I didn't come to the UK. Certainly the subject I studied has to be largely accounted and further development needs to be uncovered. Nonetheless compared to other practical skills I've obtained from the modules, this feeling of getting a broader picture is the most cheerful outcome for me.

So, I made a whole pot of creamy mushroom soup for the anniversary party this evening. Don't criticize me.

0 comments: